Lamar Fire Chief, Marshall Cook, stated that contrary to some facebook or blog articles that have been circulating, there will be a July 4th fireworks display at the Prowers County Fairgrounds on Thursday night, July 4.
Cook said that although the county has enacted a fire ban because of dry conditions this summer, the fireworks display doesn’t pose any kind of a serious threat to create a brush fire. “It’s always been dry in the summer and we’re equipped to handle a situation,” Cook explained. He added that the display on the fourth will start at its usual time, between 9:15pm and 9:30pm on Thursday, once the skies have gotten completely dark. Granada will hold its display on Wednesday, July 3 and Cook said some of his staff volunteer their time to help set off the show each year in that community.
Because of a statewide fireworks ban decreed by Governor Hickenlooper last year, the 2012 Lamar display was cancelled. The fireworks we’ll watch this year were stored in a bunker since last July. Several weeks ago, Cook asked community leaders for alternatives to using the fire department as a source for generating funds for the annual display. Over the years, what used to be a group effort for collecting donations dwindled down to just the fire department. The chief said he’d appreciate efforts by other community groups to help out with collections for next year’s display.
Bobbi Ketels, Lamar Chamber of Commerce office manager, said about eight board of director members and volunteers will ask for donations to fund next year’s display from cars parked in the lots that surround the fairgrounds on Thursday evening. She said they will be wearing their Lamar Chamber of Commerce nametags, and the Lamar Fire Department will supply some fireman’s boots used to hold donations. Anyone who can donate a golf cart to help with transportation for them that evening should contact the Chamber by Wednesday at 336-4379.
By Russ Baldwin
About the Author: